The Chronicles of Garnabus

Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Got to have coffee with Sadu Crobinhobin today! We happened to be meeting with another friend in SC's office, so showed up a half-hour early and had ourselves a little spot o' joe before getting down to business.

Fuego and I drove an hour and a half to SF to meet with our hetero friend, SP, (who is starting a thankless job that desperately needs her, but which will never fully appreciate her - I know because I once had this job... how I miss being underappreciated!) to help her recover some "lost" (**cough**abandoned**cough**) data in her new (my old) job.

Someone decided that all of the pesky paper files in her office were getting in the way and purged them. Did I say purged? I might have said that they simply razed the filing cabinet to the ground -- routed it out completely and destroyed it -- abandoned it to the great abyss. Never mind that there was twenty years worth of history cradled in this storehouse of arcane knowledge... thankfully not all was lost, and we were able to help her find some of the files in the basement and others on the G4 that these devious PC using masterminds of data destruction were apparently afraid of and had left unmolested in a dark corner since my successor left.

So having restored the Mac to its rightful place as the only computer in that office (I have nothing against PC's... it's just been a Mac office since about day 3), I struggled to update the outdated links to the server and restored my friend's connection to the twenty year history of her job =o) (YAY).

I then gave her the tour of her recently recovered database, files, manuals, etc., connected her to her email, and ran like hell back to D-Town thankful that I am not in her shoes as she starts rebuilding toward a brighter future.

Best of luck SP, call if you need anything =o)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home