The Chronicles of Garnabus

Saturday, July 14, 2007

A Hard Year on Dads

Fuego and I attended Mr. Cagiva's dad's memorial today. That's the third friend my age or younger who has lost their father this year, but as I practically grew up in EAG's house from 7th grade through high school this one was hard on a personal level as well as hard to watch my friends go through.

Mr. Cagiva and I met in 7th grade -- actually we cut the last day of 7th grade together, I remember riding on his handlebars as he peddled us down the levy for a day of mischief that ended with our fathers out looking for us.

My dad found us around dusk outside of one of the local markets -- we were in pretty big trouble and were both grounded from each other for about two weeks (our parents independantly decided that we were a bad influence on each other ;o).

Although EAG was taller and considerably more physically imposing than my own dad, I soon found out that he was really a pretty amazing person. He welcomed me into his family, took me on trips with Mr. Cagiva to go ATV'ing, to go to his lake cabin and go tubing behind his speedboat, to Great America, and many other places, and was always ready to listen or offer advice. I remember many a conversation in their living room that lasted late into the night -- especially if there was something mechanical that he was working on that Mr. Cagiva and I could help clean or otherwise reassemble. I learned a lot from him over the years and it's hard to know that he'll never get to meet Fuego or Emjay.

Mr. Cagiva and I have basically been brothers for over 20 years and although EAG and the rest of his family moved, Mr. Cagiva has kept me up to date on both his dad and his younger half-siblings. It was hard to be there today, but everyone was wonderful and although the circumstances were tragic it was great to see everyone again.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home