The Chronicles of Garnabus

Monday, November 05, 2007

Gluten-Free Goodness

Just because Fuego can't have gluten anymore doesn't mean that I can't have fun with new recipe inventions!

So for today I have two new ones...

The first is a simple modification of Pamela's Gluten Free Pancake Mix, which is hands down the BEST gluten-free baking mix I've found so far (the pancakes are actually better than gluten-rich ones!). Following the regular recipe, you would add 3/4 c water, 1 egg, and 1 T oil to 1 c of mix. Instead, add the egg and 1T of oil (I use olive), then add 1t of vanilla extract, 2T sugar (I use raw cane sugar), and 3/4 c milk (I use soy). The result is a fluffy and delicious treat with a built-in semi-sweetness that makes them as good plain as with syrup! This morning I added chocolate chips (yum!) and the other day I actually used them to make chili dogs and it turned out awesome! (no, I didn't use the chocolate chip ones for the chili dogs... I somehow don't think that would be very good ;o).

The second is a bit more strange... so if the pancake chili dogs were too much for you, you may want to stop here.

...

In a hurry for a bite the other day, I decided to throw a couple of eggs in a pan, but as I wanted something more bread-like that I could wrap around a hunk of cheese, I made some slight modifications. While breaking the yolks and stirring the egg around, I quickly dashed in a bit of milk, salt, pepper, hot sauce, and then threw in about 2T of corn-flake bread crumbs. The result was a semi-bready textured egg wrap that could be folded around whatever -- in this case a big hunk of cheddar. I loved it... so, for once, did Fuego.

As a variation on that theme, tonight I decided to make egg wraps for some tofu-dogs for our dinner. In my typical fashion, I wanted mine to be a bit spicier, so decided to make it pho-Tai by adding in 1T of peanut butter, a generous sprinkling of extra hot cayenne pepper, and some extra hot curry. I beat the ingredients together with some diced Gouda tonight rather than mixing them on the stovetop, and the result was a fluffy, almost pancake in texture, wrap that was browned on both sides and had pockets of melted cheese inside. Jane's was sans PB and spices, but did have several dashes of Tabasco and the requisite cheese chunks.

Contrary to what you might expect, we did both enjoy them ;o)

4 Comments:

At 8:55 PM, Blogger Jane said...

How did I get so lucky! I love your new creations! :)

 
At 9:29 AM, Blogger Laney said...

you know what, those sound good actually! especially all the cheeese!

 
At 4:18 AM, Blogger lulie said...

Okay, you and the fuego have to move out here so you can be my personal gluten-free chef!!!!! Some of that stuff sounds good!!!!!!!!!

 
At 1:04 PM, Blogger Ann Marie said...

I could say that I just threw up in my mouth a little but I won't... I still support you both and will give it a try though... ;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home