The Chronicles of Garnabus

Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Infamous in Ohio

So... I called in to a radio show today in Ohio. I know I should have known better, but sometimes you just can't keep your peace when people are being that hateful, ignorant, and stupid (yes, in fact, it was a combination of all three).

"Why would you call a radio station in OH?" you might ask.

Well, Emjay, Fuego and I are on vactaion visiting family, and Uncle Rockin' was filling in on a local radio show, so we were listening. The subject of Islam came up in one of the calls where some ignorant local made a terribly hateful and prejudiced statement about the nature of Islam as a religion.

Having taken two very enlightening courses in Islam last semester while completing my Masters in Ethics and Social Theory, I have since taken it upon myself to challenge the ethos of fear surrounding Islam whenever it presents itself... so I called.

Apparently drawing parallels between the kind of religious extremism that incites people to violence in the middle east and the bombing of abortion clinics by Christian extremists in the 80s was too much of a stretch for Rockin's audience, one of whom called in to not only insult me, but the entire Episcopal Church (which this individual recommended everyone leave because "they're the ones that accept the gays"). People can only call once per day, so I didn't get to call back (probably a good thing since I was pretty fired up at the time... which for those who know me is really saying something).

Subsequently, five people emailed Rockin' to voice their opinion that I shouldn't be allowed to be a priest ;o)

I was kind of hoping for more than six responses, but apparently, none of the disagreeing locals listening were capable of entering into intelligent debate with my dissident opinions... oh well, at least I'm infamous somewhere =o)

On a positive note, I did have a lively conversation with Uncle Rockin' on the subject -- I don't think we necessarily agree on some of the finer points, but I'm grateful that we can at least agree on the broader nature of Islam outside of extremist activity.

To be honest I don't know what came over me, but I have to admit that it was kind of fun being a rabble rouser outside of the context of preaching.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home