The Chronicles of Garnabus

Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Return of Zach's!!

Anyone who has lived in Berkeley, or who has visited someone who has lived in Berkeley for that matter, has been to Zachary's Pizza. Mind you, they haven't been just once, but since their first visit, have never considered any other pizza to be of Zachary's caliber - secretly comparing every other bready, cheesy, meaty pie to the Zachary's goodness. It is unparalleled.

If you don't like Zachary's Pizza, you're wrong. I'm sorry to have to put it so bluntly, but you are. You should try it again when you're in the right state of mind, because something must have been blocking the goodness from reaching the taste, texture, and addictive succulence receptors in your brain.

So, now the problem. I can't tolerate gluten anymore. Not only does that mean I can't have pizza, but it means I can't have Zachary's pizza. Not only can I not have Zachary's Pizza, but I can't have Zachary's Pizza and an ice cold beer. This is a problem.

Moving away from Berkeley has meant that in the past two years I have only had Zachary's twice, and since I went gluten free back in October of 07, it means I have almost certainly been Zachary's free for over a year.

Tonight I have the distinct pleasure, ney privilege, ney HONOR to report that I have successfully recreated Zachary's pizza in gluten free form!

In all its deep dish, stuffed crust, chunky tomato, basily, garlicky, hidden cheesy, spiced to perfection goodness, I removed from my oven the near twin to my long lost Berkeley taste bud idol.

Even better than simply getting to have Zachary's... We found a gluten free beer while visiting Jbewan in New York that we have been able to find at Bevmo!

So for the first time in over a year, Fuego and I were able to sit down to a proper dinner of Pizza and Beer -- and OH MY GOD was it GOOD!

Thankfully I made two, because the first one didn't last long =o)

One parting shot of the beautifully towering crust, deep pocket of heirloom tomato, organic zucchini from our garden, garlic, cheese (drunken goat and goat mozzarella), fresh organic basil, and special blend of fantastically delicious spices -- mmmmmm.

Happy eating =o)

4 Comments:

At 9:21 AM, Blogger SDCrawford said...

Please tell me those little orange rounds in the first picture are not carrots. Carrots do NOT belong on pizza. No matter how freaky you like to eat... carrots are a NO NO!

So when do we get to have some?

 
At 7:19 PM, Blogger EM said...

do you deliver to Arcata?

 
At 7:19 PM, Blogger Garnabus said...

Nope... Boy and Fuego Friendly sausage slices! Yum!!

 
At 6:09 PM, Blogger kristinvanness said...

I am currently doing the happy dance for you both!!! Yippie!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home